Sunday, December 25, 2016

Letters 500: Love Lights the World

"Do we simply find ourselves awakening, as angels touched the heartstrings of our souls."

- Warren Wiebe (Human Touch, 1996)


To whom I haven't met yet, 

            Few years ago, I went for volunteering service at an orphanage. The idea was that the orphans would be matched with volunteers & taken on a RM 100 shopping spree at Mydin store. The store would open early only for all of us & the prices would be heavily discounted so that the orphans could choose what they needed for the Christmas. 
                
            Well, thank to my lucky star, I was matched up to a young girl about the age of 7 named Shu Yee (or Shu Ying, blame my deteriorating memory). As soon as we arrived at the store in the morning, I saw her reading a piece of paper with a list of stuff she wanted. A new shirt, a new jogging tracksuit to name a few were on the list. 

            The moment they opened the store, everyone rushed in to escape the scorching heat of morning sunlight. I had Shu Yee's list & wanted to find the items in her wishlist one by one yet this little sweetheart set her eyes on this sweater. I could see it in her eyes that this is what she really wanted. I tried to steer her away saying that we needed to find items on the list first.

            We choose all the things on her wishlist. As she walked into the changing room, I quickly grab the sweater & put it inside the basket. By then, I had already decided to buy her that sweater with own money as the sweater is around RM 245 apiece. We weren't allowed to spend more than the allotment since that would not be fair for the others. 

            Dear hummingbird, make it short, as we arrived at the cashier counter, I told her that Christmas is a time full of miracles & showed her the sweater. I know it sound so silly but it was a little miracle for her. Of course as you can guess, the sweater fit her nicely.

            I hope that you believe in the miracles my other half of the sky. Some people might dismissed it as pure luck  but I hope you won't. Until then, have yourself a wonderful day. 


p.s 

You are my today & all of my tomorrow.


Always another day,

The Half Moon Serenades.
25th of December 2016.

No comments: