Friday, October 21, 2016

Letters 490: As Good as It Gets

"Well, maybe I overshot a little because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out."

- Melvin Udall (As Good as It Gets, 1997)


To whom I haven't met yet,

         A few days ago, while eating my late breakfast at a food court in Gurney Paragon, I saw a young lady who bought a pack of fried rice & left. I didn't make much of it until after my lunch, when I walked past few parking lots & noticed that the young lady is having her meal inside it her car.

          That's weird, I thought. Why didn't she just eat at the food court? I saw plenty of seats available there. But then reality knocked my head immediately. There are many people in this world who hated the idea of eating alone & the would rather starved than to be seen dining alone. It is like if you are eating alone, you must be some sort of 'kera sumbang', loser or 'brozone' fella.

           Actually, eating alone at restaurant is not as bad for me because it is a quick affair. It is not a the ultimate test of bravery for me too. I've never had any qualms about eating alone, let it before when I was in relationship or now (single). Since I have done it during my entire working life, solo dining does not seem like a strange Ripley Believe It or Not concept for me.
  
            Dear hummingbird, solo dining is about treating myself to a delicious experience & savoring every bite. I love food & I like to try out new places in Penang that I read about or see in my social media feeds. Sometimes, it is just much easier to eat alone than make plans with colleagues or friends. Trust me, it can be a difficult task the size of Jupiter just to get everyone to agree on a date or a location.

              Anyway, the year 2016 is going to end soon in two months. Frankly, I don't know if we will ever met each other one day or we are just floating around like a breeze. But then, yes I was far away from you but I wasn't scared. I know that deep in my heart, I just haven't met you yet. 



p/s

Maybe I am too late to be your first, but right now, I'm preparing myself to be your last. Good things came to those who wait.


To where you are,

The Half Moon Serenades.
21st of October 2016.
 

                

No comments: