Saturday, October 15, 2016

Letters 489: The Korean Rose


"I  knew it the very first time I touched her, it was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known, it was like magic."

- Sam Baldwin (Sleepless in Seattle, 1993)


To whom I haven't met yet,

          I don't know what possessed me few years ago. One minute I was queuing up to get into the bookstore & the next I was agreeing to participate in a Korean language course located a short distance from the mall. 

           I am not a language freak. So when the girl suggested to me to join for fun, I was surprised to hear an alien voice, which sounded remarkably like my own. saying "Sure, that sounds like fun". 

           First day in the class, my heart was racing so fast I thought I would expire on the spot. People like me should not be subjecting themselves to such stuff during their free time. I should be at home making a nice dinner & taking gentle sips of Earl Grey tea from delicate bone china cups. '

           Before I had a chance to give voice to my fears, I found myself standing in the class, with my heart in my mouth. "Whatever you do, don't look at anyone", I said to myself."Just keep looking to the wall in front & I'll be fine", I told myself.  Just when I thought I was making reasonable good progress, every pore in my body decided to drench me with sweat, blinding me.

            Anyway my hummingbird, that was my first class. Sixteen weeks later, I guess my self-persuasion were beginning to kick me right at my ass. I am not one for giving up so easily especially if it means making a public spectacle of myself. I summoned every ounce of courage left in me & ordered myself to persevere. 

             It wasn't easy, but I did finished the course with flying colors. I can even conversed in basic Korean fluently. Oddly enough, now that I am good in Korean language, I am hooking myself to watch Korean drama every weekend.

              I think, I could possibly be persuaded to learn another language next year. Italian maybe?



p/s

It is in letters like these that I know my what my purpose is in life. I am here to love you one day, to hold you in my arms one day, to protect you forever. I am here to learn from you & to receive your love in return. I am here because of you. Be my mugunghwa (Korean Rose).


난 당신을 생각합니다 (I am yours),
 The Half Moon Serenades.
15th of October 2016. 

1 comment:

Pinondang Situmeang said...

It would be very happy if you wish to learn Indonesia so if you come to BALI would be more enjoyable.