Sunday, October 2, 2016

Letters 487: The Bakery of Life



"You are not perfect & let me save you the suspense, this girl you've met, she is not perfect either. But the question is whether or not you are perfect for each other."

- Dr.Sean Maguire (Good Will Hunting, 1997)


To whom I haven't met yet,

           I was born in a poor family of two (me & my mother). Back in the 1990's. each time I walked in front of the bakery shop at Gelugor, I would spend some time looking at the hot bread inside. I don't know why I have such an intense fascination for that sunflower seeds bread but ever since I was a Standard One student, I stopped in front of the bakery just to smell it (mind you, I couldn't afford to buy it).

            Few days before my primary school graduation, my mother sent me to the bakery to buy some parchment paper for baking. While waiting for the paper, I took a quick look at the last two unsold sunflower seeds breads & wished I could have one. 

            The owner asked whether I like to have one of them. It was as if she could read my mind. She said she had noticed my fascination each time I walked in front of her bakery. To cheer me up, she said she would give me one. Before I could even shake my head, the lady gave me the sunflower seeds bread in a plastic bag together with the parchment papers. 

              I was only 12 years old. But that day her kindness, encouraging words & positive attitude had a great impact on me. 

              Anyway today, I am the owner of several businesses. Granted it is not a bakery but each time I met a soul from poor family, her wisdom still resonate with me. I know it is not easy as it sounds to help everyone, but I know there will be some way out of the darkness for me to help them. For them to say thank you few years later, it makes my world.
  
              Dear hummingbird, I am now in my 20's & even today when i see a bakery, it would immediately remind me of the bakery at Gelugor.


p/s

If you really look deeper, these event can actually motivate you & me to find that inner strength to overcome love challenges or in some ways to make our life more meaningful.


For the other half of the sky,

The Half Moon Serenades.
2nd of October 2016.    

No comments: