Sunday, November 1, 2015

Notes 450: Like the First Time

Laura Ingalls Wilder once said:

"Have courage when things go wrong."

To you whom I haven't met yet,

              Yesterday, it was my turn to be a volunteer at the old folks centre. At the same time, I saw an old lady, 84 years old, petite, well-poised & proud lady, who is fully dressed each morning with her hair fashionably styled & makeup perfectly applied even though she is legally blind, moved to this old folks centre. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

          After many hours of waiting patiently at the corridor of the old folks centre, she smiled sweetly when I told that her bed was ready. As she moved her walker along the corridor, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the curtain that had been hung on her window. 

         “I love it,” she stated with the enthusiasm of a small kid having just been presented with a gift. Bu, the problem here, she haven't seen the room.

          “That doesn’t have anything to do with it,” she replied to me in fluent English. 

          “Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn’t depend on how the furniture is arranged, it’s how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It’s a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open I’ll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I’ve stored away, just for this time in my life.” she said.

            For her, old age is like a bank account, she withdraw from what she have put in. So, her advice to me would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories.  

            Dear you, live your life to the fullest. I hope you will free your heart from hatred, free your mind from worries & live simply by giving more & expecting less. Rarely I talked about my personal life, but I hope one day, when I finally met you, we can share this beautiful journey together, forever. Until then, have yourself a wonderful life.


p/s

In the next few weeks, I will be on my annual journey around Malaysia & the world. Will you share the same passion with me about travel? I hope so, because if not, I will make sure you try your best to enjoy it one day, like the first time.

Cherrios hummingbird,

The Half Moon Serenades.

1st of November 2015. 

No comments: