Friday, November 13, 2015

Letters 452: From Japan, With Love

Khwāja Shams-ud-Dīn Muhammad Hāfez-e Shīrāzī once said:

"Stay close to anything that make you glad you are alive."


To you whom I haven't met,

     
                 There's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their journey around the world. Where they've been. Where they're going. I've been to many countries in this beautiful world. I bet if I think about it really hard, I could remember each thing that I did in those 27 countries.

               When I was on my backpacking journey in Japan, I was glad to make a short trip to the island of Kyushu (Japan's third largest island). Anyway, did you know anything about Kyushu Island? Just for your information, this beautiful island is closer to South Korea compare to Tokyo. Believe it or not, I found myself hiking the rim of the world's largest caldera, taking a lonesome walk in the forest (tracking down moss-coated cedar trees that predate Mesopotamian Civilization) & being showered with ash from a live volcano (Sakurajima). Talked about being in a near death situation right?

               While in city of Nagasaki in Kyushu Island, I went to this old-style Kojigoku Onsen (one of the nicest Unzen a.k.a public baths). Did you know, most of the Unzen in Japan is actually unisex? I found myself sitting (yes, sitting on a wooden chair in the pool) with people from all over the world & of course the locals. Thank God, they didn't required us to stripped naked. After the refreshing stop, i went to Suizenji-jojuen, considered to be one of Japan's most beautiful stroll-gardens.The garden is at its best with an-early morning mist over the crystal-clear, spring-fed lake with multi-coloured carp swimming across the bridge.   

                  Dear you, like I was saying, I had a lot of company went I traveled in Japan. Some of them become a good friend of mine (they even asked me to return to Japan one day with you to visit them). Traveling across the world on a budget is fun. For no particular reason, I just kept on going whenever I can have a long holiday.Once, I went through the country of Russia using Trans-Siberia railway system, from Kunming to Moscow for 14 days. When I reached Moscow, I figured since I'd gone this far, I might as well keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept at the bus station with fellow backpackers just like in Phnom Penh (Cambodia). When I got hungry, I ate (sometimes, the food is kinda weird like rotten cheese in Kunming north of China). When I had to go poo-poo, you know, I went.

                    My hummingbird, journey was & still a part of my life. I sure wish it will be a part of our life too in future. I happened to believe you make your own destiny. You have to do the best with what God gave you. I guess that's what my life is all about. Each time I managed to struck off one country from my bucket list, I just said to myself, 'that's good, one less thing'. Until then, wishing you all the best in your life, wherever you are.


p/s

This sky where we live is no place to lose our wings, so love honestly & may our hearts can be like an old friends, forever more.
  

Yours truly,

The Half Moon Serenades.
13th November 2015.

No comments: