Saturday, October 17, 2015

Letters 448: To Where You Are



Maya Angelou once said: 

"Nothing can dim the light which shines from within".

To you whom I haven't met yet,

           Late in the evening of Friday, 11th of March 2011, my mobile phone rang & rang. Someone in Penang were trying to contact me because they were worried. That fateful day was the last day of my backpacking holiday in Japan. 

           My friend from Keio University was visiting & after a heavy lunch near Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, we were having a fiesta, which is why the phone went unanswered at first place. But my colleague in Penang thought we had gone to the beach are as it was the festive season. They feared the worst when the phone went unanswered. 

           As I hailed a taxi & heading to Kansai International Airport, I took out my mobile phone & saw at least 20 plus missed call from my colleague, close friend & mother. What was the concern, I asked. The worst, apparently there was an earthquake occured few hours earlier near Tohoku (the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in the history of Japan, so powerful it moved the main island of Honshu by few metres). The earthquake triggered powerful tsunami waves. So even as the information sank in, thousands of people in the Iwate Prefecture had already perished. Homes & property were destroyed, the nuclear power plant becoming a sea of floating radioactive debris, the destruction was of unimaginable scales as I learned about it when i reached Penang few hours later. 

            Dear hummingbird, I am a lucky man. There but for the blessing of God, I am still here in one piece, writing a letter to you. Until now, I  believed God really care for me, because it only happened on the last day of my backpacking trip. Maybe I'm still too close to it. Maybe I'll just have to wait & one day, the gravity of this event will go away from my mind. But right now my dear, all I know is this incoming holiday season in November, I'm feeling extra lucky to travel into many new countries again. 

            448 letters in 9 years, looking to the new horizons, I hope the writing has been just as, if not more, illuminating for you, the one whom I haven't met yet. One day, when we finally met each other, I hope you will read this letter with a smil, knowing that God save me on that fateful day, so I can be here to love you, for one more day. Maybe for forever, & a day. Until then, cherrios hummingbird,

p/s 

Twice in my life, watching someone walk out of my life does not make me bitter or cynical about love. But rather makes me realize that if I wanted so much to be with the wrong person, how beautiful it will be when the right person comes along. I hope that person, will be you.

To Where You Are,

The Half Moon Serenades.

17th of October 2015. 

No comments: