Monday, December 3, 2012

Of Dogs & Love

Elbert Hubbard once said:

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you."

               I grew up in a neighborhood that was pet-friendly. There is always the sound of dog barking or cat fighting days and night. As nearly anyone who has adopted a dog or cat in their life can attest, there’s something special about a rescued pet; it’s as if the animal senses he’s been given a second chance at life. That’s certainly the case with Lucky, a Golden Retriever who was rescued before she was to be euthanized.  Since then, Lucky has taken on the role of rescuer to five-year-old Jason, the son of my neighbor.

              Jason suffers from San Filippo syndrome, an inherited, metabolic disease where children lose the ability to speak, walk and eat. The disease also causes severe neurological damage that leads to aggressive behavior, hyperactivity and seizures.

              Unless that changes, Jason isn’t expected to live past the age of 15 and may be in a vegetative state by the time he is eight. Realizing that every moment is extra precious, a combination of prayer and persistence led his father to Lucky. They took to each other immediately, like kindred spirits as Lucky greeted him with licks and affection.

             Lucky has become a literal shoulder for Jason to lean on when walking, and a calming influence when he’s agitated. And while his dad makes sure that Lucky gets time off, he says that it’s hard to get Lucky to leave Jason’ side.

             And that's for me, is a groovy kind of love between a dog and a human.



P/S

To you whom I have met, it’s a beautiful time of year. Almost as beautiful as you. The scent of promise, the smell of skin, the bittersweet buzz of longing, this is how I feel you in my life; alive and electric, deep and wordless.

377 love letters dedicated for you still can't described how much my feeling for you, like the way I really feel. That I can’t describe, not even to call it a hunger.

Right now, the light is like honey and the air is like feathers. The evening is made of music and I’m already dancing in my heart. It’s almost as lovely as you Sabrina.

Until then, put in your heart the fact that I am in love with you way before we knew each other. Wait for me, for the next few days, distance is just the things of the past for us. I am coming home, where you heart is my hummingbird.

Love is a dream that comes alive when we meet.

Loving you,

The Half Moon Serenades.
3rd of December 2012.

No comments: